Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wednesday




Hello everyone, this is Caleb Beaty writing tonight. We had an absolutely wonderful day today. We started off with a tour of a sound studio in Solola at 9 this morning. The studio works in correlation with Wycliffe Bible Translators. They are in the process of making finger puppet movies to evangelize to the children in and around Guatemala. The hope is to make movies for all the major bible stories. VINA, the studio, also works in the field of ethnomusicology. That is basically taking the music of a culture and helping natives write songs in their own style, instead of importing western-style worship songs. They also have translated the New Testament into several different languages that are spoken in Guatemala. There are about 22 different languages in Guatemala and 48 different dialects.

After that we went to a school where we played music, passed out school supplies, and balloons. The children really enjoyed spending time with us, practicing the little English they knew. We were only able to stay for a little while due to time constraints.

After lunch (which was amazing), we put on a dental clinic for the people of Solola. Dr. Martin examined everyone’s teeth that came through. It was hard to get an exact count, but we had somewhere between 75 and 100 people that we were able to serve. We taught everyone how to brush and floss, and gave them toothbrushes, toothpaste, and floss. We also presented the gospel to everyone who came.

Alright… I get to have a little personal note on the end of this, so here I go. This week has been a little bit rough for me. I have just been dealing with some issues that I have been ignoring for a while, and I have felt like God has not been listening to me. Monday night when we went to the youth group in Solola, I really got to experience God. We sang songs in both English and Spanish at the same time. I got a chance to pray with a couple other people at the end of the night, and it was one of the coolest nights of my life. Then last night a few of us had a spontaneous time of praising God with music. That was also a spectacular time that I got to meet with God. So it has been a great time of comforting for me, and God has really shown himself to me this week. I can’t wait to see what else he has in store for me.

7 comments:

suz said...

For Ricardo...So glad to hear the dental clinic went well. I know you must be having a blast. Sounds like an incredible time. Wish I were there with ya. We're praying. All is well here. New house's grass is mowed. Tennis going well. Lydia fussy, but getting stronger. Weather hot. Mark is taking Tues. off next week. Love ya, mi padre! Susita

suz said...

GP (Ricardo),
Are you having a good time? I hope you had fun looking at teeth and teaching. I love you! I hope you come back soon. Love, Jessica

Jim B said...

Team - Thanks so much for each sharing on the BLOG... God works in the time Gaps...leave some for him.

Glad some folks are feeling better... maybe that is God working from the inside out??

Justin Randolph said...

wow! how cool! my wife and i just joined wycliffe and will be getting training in ethno arts which work with ethnomusicologists. we also have done work in guatemala with children. what a rewarding experience to be able to pour into them! i'm so excited about this new finger puppet film. what a great idea! anyway, thanks for sharing. God bless your ministry.

Guatemala Mission Team said...

Hey Dad!! Okay, so Rick Martin would appreciate it if you would call his wife, Jo, and let her know that he loves her and not to work to hard at packing while he is gone! Also, we would love to hear from YOU because we know that you are checking this blog! Love, Mom and Ash

Paul said...

Hello Grace Team,
I am glad to hear Ashley and Julie are feeling better. I will continue to pray for everyone's health.
I am so proud that you all are serving the Lord and the people of Guatemala so faithfully even in some adversity. May God's strength be perfect in your weakness.
Tami, take care of those girls and thank Dr. Ricardo and everyone else for helping out. Love you and see you soon.
In Prayer,
Dad

Mr and Mrs B said...

Daniel,
Hello to you and everyone else. We have enjoyed seeing all of the pictures and reading about what you are doing there in Guatemala. we have been praying for you and are excited about all of the work you are doing for the Lord there. Grandma and Grandpa are following the blog everyday too. We miss you. Love, mom, dad and Ryan