Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sick no more . . .well kinda

Hi everyone! This is Ashley Bronke and as many of you know Julie and I have been very sick for the past few days. We found out that we contracted a sickening bacteria in our GI tract which caused us severe vomiting, pain in our stomachs and muscles, and high fevers. I have to say that this was a very painful experience that hindered not only our physical beings, but our mental and spiritual as well. (I am not really sure if it was worse than getting my tonsils out . . .but I think it was a close second!)
However, I am pleased to inform all who were praying for us that today we are feeling much better. Yesterday, Julie went to a hospital here in Guatemala (a pretty frightening experience), had blood drawn, and was able to return with an antibiotic and pain medication. She has now been on the medication for almost 20 hrs. and is showing amazing improvement. As for me, I was still having terrible pain in my stomach last night and the inability to get out of bed. Our doctor on call is Dr. Rick Martin, or Ricardo as we refer to him here, and being the experienced missionary he is had a strong antibiotic in his bag of supplies. After taking this medicine last night, today I am free from sickness and slowly eating and walking around to regain strength.
From Julie and I both we want to thank everyone that has been diligently praying for us-- we really could not have gotten through this with out the strength from God and the knowledge that we are showered in prayer.
At first this was a very discouraging experience as both of us did not want to be stuck in our rooms, but rather out doing ministry! However, I know that I have learned so much by being sick these past two days. God is faithful and so good. He protects his people and will not let them fall. While I was sick, I became frustrated thinking that I would never be able to do ministry internationally again--- but God came along and showed me that nothing we do for him is in vain . . .even becoming sick. So I believe that I will still be fulfilling God's call for my life to become a missionary to Africa no matter what small thorns are put into my flesh. I wish all of you to praise God!----How amazing He is, our strength in weakness.
Hi to my family-- Dad, Josh, Bryce, and Kiley, and Aaron-- hope all is well and Mom and I are always thinking of you! Love, love, love

7 comments:

Mama5 said...

The kids and I have been praying for everyone's health! So glad to hear our prayers are being answered! We continue to pray that this illness is not transmitted to any of the other team members (particularly Chris).

George & Rebecca said...

PRAISE GOD!!! So glad those who were ill are on the road to recovery!!! Many have been praying for a quick/full recovery as well as no spreading of the illness :)
It is so amazing to see the pictures of the children, all the work going on, and each person's insights as they share through the blog. We look so forward to each entry. Praying that God will continue to guide/change/grow/use each of you as He chooses.

FYI for the baseball fans NL lost

Aaron said...

I am so relieved to hear that everyone is healthy. God is good, always! I am continuing to pray for all. I miss you, Tam Tam and Ash, but I know you are doing God's work. I love you all!

Aaron Garriott

lisa said...

Julie and Ashley--Glad to hear you are feeling better. I'm sorry you have been so sick. Praise God you both were able to receive medical treatment. Praying you will quickly recover and no one else becomes ill.

Lisa Bethea

Mr and Mrs B said...

Glad Ashley and Julie are recovering. Praise God for answered payers! We are prayiing for all and it is so exciting to see how the Lord is using each one of you.

Keep you minds clear and your hearts open for the Lord to continue to guide you.

PS: Daniel - we miss you.

deborah said...

Hola Team!
I am so encouraged by all the reports and pictures! We are truly a body that stands together for Christ and supports one another. This blog is such a blessing to keep us updated and to pray more effectively and fervently. I am so encouraged with the team the Lord put together to serve down there and I know you are all learning from one another with your different gifts, personalities, life experiences in service with and to one another. We know God will continue to show you more of Himself and to speak to each of you individually. How great is our God?!!! I can't wait to hear ALL of your stories when you come back. I know the Lord is faithful to all of us back home to prompt us through His Spirit to pray for you. You are loved!

As you share your lives and the life giving message of the gospel, I thought of these verses.

Only conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or remain absent, I will hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel; in no way alarmed by your opponents--which is a sign of destruction for them, but of salvation for you, and that too, from God. For to you it has been granted for Christ's sake, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake.
Philippians 1:27-29 (New American Standard Bible)

I know each of you are not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

Praying through Philippians for you, Deborah (Con Dios Todo Es Posible)

sheryl said...

Hola to you all too! (that's the extent of my spanish!) Praise the Lord for answered prayers! We'll continue to pray for strength for Julie and Ashley, and for continued health for all, especially as the week is wrapping up and you prepare to travel home. I can hardly wait to see the pictures and hear the stories.