Monday, July 14, 2008

Home Is Where the People Are





Sooooo..... it's Monday! Not as sunny as it was yesterday, and as I write this there is a slight drizzle from the clouds blowing in from the lake. But it's still beautiful, and these is absolutely nothing to complain about, especially when it helps quench the body heat worked up from moving dirt from a pile to an area about eight or ten feet up a wall in order to level out the ground above. We are all broken up into smaller groups today, working on separate activities such as painting fences, whitewashing walls, caring for the orphans, and well, moving dirt. Tonight, the student ministry is going to be involved in a Compassion International activity in Solola, about five minutes away by vehicle.

On a personal note, this place is already starting to feel like home. That is not to say that the central highlands of Guatemala look anything remotely like the farmland of central Illinois. I guess everywhere on Earth has its own kind of beauty. Don't get me wrong; there really is something thoroughly enjoyable and somewhat surreal about a backdrop comprised of water, volcanoes and lush vegetation, no matter what activity you're participating in. But when I think of home, I think of people. I think of all those around me that I love, and I really love the team I'm serving with. They are my siblings in Christ. They are my friends. And though not everyone important in my life is here with me, it's still nice to know that even here, thousands of miles from my physical home, I can still feel the same way because besides serving and caring for the people here, we are also serving and caring for each other. This was especially evident last night as we held a miniature worship and sharing session. We talked about (by way of nomination) those who we appreciated from our group that truly showed a spirit of servanthood, and then worshipped God together in an amazing way. God truly is great and sovereign, and that’s always the best thing to know.


Chris Ruehle

5 comments:

Ana said...

You guys made our day. The picture of our Jose Eduardo is precious. Thanks so much for posting that photo. Thanks for spending time with him. Is there any way you could take a photo of his sister and the little girl we are adopting as well Flory Alexandra? We would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Ana Wiley

Mama5 said...

Chris, I'm so thankful you have been able to have this experience. It sounds like everyone is growing closer to each other and with God as they serve. Juli and Laura still say "we love you and we miss you"! Nick is talking more (says pa-pa for grandpa) and Adrien giggles when I look at her!
Promise me that if Grace goes back next year, I can go too?!
Keep safe and healthy! I'll let you know if anything major comes up here.
We love you!
Sarah

Aaron said...

I am praying that God will continue to do His work through you guys. I am glad everything went well with safe travel!

Love,
Aaron G.

Papa & Grandma said...

Jared & friends, We were excited to see we can connect to your team blog. Papa and I are praying for you and your tream every day. It's so great you have this opportunity to experience Guatemala and serve the Lord at the same time. We are so proud of you! We can see in the picture of you on the wall that they are using your strong body for heavy work. Also, we see the kids sure love you! We look forward to seeing more of your blog.
Love, Papa and Grandma

sheryl said...

Thanks for the updates. It's neat to see your surroundings, the work you're doing and having fun with the kids. Jared, glad to hear the food is "normal" enough for you! We'll continue to pray for all of you. Love you! Mom, Dad & Kylee